Skip to main content

Compassion is Hard

Amidst the political and social turmoil that assails us nearly everywhere we look, a common theme I often hear echoed is the desire for others to be kind and compassionate.
Kind.
Compassionate.

Such simple words. Let's face it; the mere sound of those words elicits a flood of warm and sometimes deeply emotional sensations and longings. Not only that, but just sharing those words gives us (or at least me and I would suspect many others) the sense that we are good people for wanting those things; that somehow, we are morally just in calling for compassion and kindness; that others are cruel for not espousing such simple ideals.

I've reflected sometimes on the ideas of kindness and compassion. Being human, I've had many moments where I've needed and been shown compassion and kindness. But here's the kicker - in none of those instances was compassion or kindness a simple or easy thing. Nor did it come about by words spoken to me in a vacuum. While cruel words can be hurtful, kind words, on their own, aren't really very healing. They might give a moment of reprieve, but they aren't lasting. Kind or compassionate policies certainly don't really help anyone heal, either, at least not in the ways that are most important. They still require the person in need to act, when often, acting isn't really on their radar; it's simply too much. What truly helps those who are in need of compassion, what helped me, were those who took the time to really connect with me, in person. My friends who gave me a couch to sleep on or a key to their house. The ones who went out with me for lunch, who called me and checked on me, sometimes hourly. The ones who went on walks with me or shopped for baby clothes with me. Who sat across the table from me and reminded me that I was loved and not defined by my mistakes. The ones who financially put their money where their mouths were and set up counseling for me. The people who brought food to my house or visited me in the hospital. The ones who acted with those lovely, corporal works of mercy.

Compassion is, by its nature, active; and it requires a reaching out. If I have to seek out kindness or compassion for myself, it is neither. It cannot be flippant. It cannot be quick. It isn't conveyed through the click of a button on a post or even an image shared in a few seconds. It can not be given and received in a moment, the instant gratification of the keyboard warrior. (I do recognize the irony as I type this avalanche of words onto a blog post). Maybe true compassion is so hard because we live in an age that is starved of real relationships: relationships that aren't carefully curated through technology, filtered and airbrushed to be perfect, that end up being searingly unforgiving when they a misword is spoken. Compassion requires that we get messy. We make mistakes, we connect with others, we forgive each other. It requires intentionality, time, and movement. Compassion and kindness cannot exist behind a keyboard; it needs to move outside, to go forth; to touch, taste, hear, smell, and see; it needs to experience the need and sit with a person in that need. It needs laughter and tears and anger and joy and discomfort and the whole range of human emotion. Much like love, it's not a feeling, but a choice.

I wish we would turn compassion into an action verb; compassion is running, it's reaching, it's holding, it's listening, it's cooking, it's cleaning; it's asking, it's seeking, it's drawing near, it's inviting.

It's serving. 

Our world is bigger than our comfortable rooms; compassion can't live in small spaces, small minds, or closed quarters. Compassion must reach out in person and act.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Imprint of Time

Recently, I was reading up on my Facebook posts (I've been trying, with moderate success, to cut back on the time I waste, er, spend on social media) and a young friend of mine posted this beautiful post about how "what you focus on is what your life becomes" and "attitude is everything" and "the world is what you make of it". I've become somewhat of a cynic is my curmudgeonly age of 31, because when I read (and inevitably repost) those "inspirational" messages, I sometimes find myself laughing so hard I snort. This friend graduated college three years ago and just finished her first year teaching English to high school students. She is single and carefree with a dog who is "just like" her child, a very active social life, and about a zillion friends who like every time she posts a workout photo or a #Shakeology advertisement. And the thing is, I remember being her. I remember being young and not having worries, at least ...

Tell Me About Your Kids Sometime

A few days ago, I went to a movie with an acquaintance and afterward, we decided mutually that we should get to know each other better, which, considering my lack of an active social circle, can't possibly be a bad thing. (Shut up, anxiety. I'm trying to knock those walls down. ) We were exchanging questions and he said, "You'll have to tell me about [your son] sometime." A few moments later he added, "...and your girls. They clearly have your heart." That first sentence, blinking bright against the black on my iPhone struck me so profoundly. It's a simple request. "Tell me about your son." The innocuous reason he asked that question was simply because he knows that my son is important to me and wants to know more about the people I care about. However, when I read it, it struck me how I would seriously answer what my children truly mean to me and how I would honestly describe them. Not in the funny things they do, or the sweet things th...

Monday, Monday

Last night, the Oscars were on. John Travolta called Idina Menzel "Adele Nazeem", Jennifer Lawrence did all kinds of awesome-ly real things in a world of fake-ry, and I was passed out at 8:20 pm, missing it all. My friend Deanna and I were joking about how neither of us had seen any of the movies except Frozen. I remember watching the Oscars and being legitimately pissed when my favorite movie didn't win. Now, though I think it's tragic that Leo hasn't won an Oscar yet, I couldn't really tell you much about any of the movies nominated. Nor do I care to. I have so little time to watch movies, that it doesn't even really appeal to me. And the world is so full of heavy, hard, serious things, that if I do watch a movie, I want it to be vapidly appealing, uplifting, inspiring, escapism. Lying in bed with my daughters as they fell asleep, my heart felt so full. At 2:00 am, baby boy woke up, and as I watched him nurse, I kept thinking how very lucky I am to ha...